Halawet el jibn
Halawet el jibn
This dessert originated in Syria, Halawet el jibn is a creamy, rich and crunchy dessert. The dessert is made with a dough made of cheese and semolina, stuffed with cream, sprinkled with crunchy pistachios and drizzled with syrup. If you are a lover of Middle Eastern Cuisine this is something you need to try.
If you don’t have time to make the cream filling you can buy ready made cream from your local supermarket.
- 2 cups fine semolina
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 300gr akkawi cheese or light mozzarella
- 2 tbsps rose water
- 80gr roasted pistachios (unsalted)
For the filling:
- 600ml heavy cream
For the syrup:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 glass of water
Method for the filling (clotted cream):
When making this recipe it’s best to start with the filling. This process will take 12 hours but it’s actually one of the simplest ways.
- Preheat your oven to 60C or the lowest temperature possible.
- In a glass tray pour in the cream, a glass tray with lots of surface area would be best.
- Place the tray in the oven for 12 hours, would be easier for you to do this overnight.
- After 12 hours have passed, remove the glass tray carefully and let it cool.
- Cover the glass tray and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready spoon out the clotted cream and stir to create the creamy filling.
- In a large saucepan add the water, sugar and rosewater.
- Once it starts boiling, gradually add the semolina and keep stirring in medium heat.
- Cut the cheese in small pieces and slowly add in the mixture.
- Add all the cheese in and keep stirring until you have a stretchy dough.
- Let the dough cool a tiny bit and then you can either roll out all the dough or roll it out in smaller pieces.
- If you find the dough sticking to the surface, use some rose water and brush the surface lightly.
- Roll out the dough to medium thickness and cut into a long strip about 20cm * 20cm.
- Spoon the filling in a line along the edge of the dough and then roll the dough to cover the filling.
- Cut into smaller little pieces and arrange onto a serving platter.
- Top with pistachios and drizzle with syrup.