Greek Rice Pudding
Greek rice Pudding
Rizogalo is a greek rice pudding perfect for a light dessert and it can be served warm or cold. The tranditional recipe for this pudding has no butter but it still has a lovely thick texture a bit like a custard. The cinnamon and cardamom adds a great flavour.
- 5 tbsps short grain white rice
- 1 lt milk
- 1/2 glass of water
- 4 tbsps sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- sprinkle of salt
- 5 tbsps cornflour
- 3 tbsp raisins (optional)
- 2 cardamom seeds
- 1 tbsp rose water
- In a large saucepan add the rice, water, salt, cardamom and let it simmer over medium heat.
- Once the rice is soft ( after 10 minutes) pour in the milk but keep 1/2 cup of milk on the side for later use.
- Stir in the sugar, vanilla essence and we let it simmer in medium- low heat without covering.
- It’s important to reduce the heat to medium- low and gently cook the rice pudding.
- Add in the raisins if using and once the rice pudding comes to a boiling point , mix the 1/2 cup of milk with cornflour and add in the mixture.
- Cook for a few more minutes until you have a thick, custard like texture.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the rosewater and stir well.
- Pour into small bowls, sprinkle some cinnamon and serve warm.