Dolmadakia (Stuffed Grape Leaves)
Ingredients for 30 rolls:
- 1 cup rice
- 1 1/2 lbs grape leaves
- 2 lemons
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 5 scallions, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 2 ½ cups water
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan and sauté onions with salt until transparent.
- Add pepper and rice, cook for 10 minutes.
- Add dill, parsley, scallions, juice of 1 lemon and 1/2 cup of the water and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Rinse, drain and carefully separate the grape leaves.
- Place shiny side down and put about 1 tablespoon of the filling on each leaf.
- Start at the base and fold over, then fold in sides and roll tightly.
- In a pot line the bottom with grape leaves so the rolls don’t get stuck.
- Then arrange the rolls, side by side, in layers.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and juice of remaining lemon and 1 cup water.
- Weight down with heat proof plate and simmer gently 25 minutes.
- Add remaining 1 cup of water and simmer for another 25 minutes.
- To serve, pile stuffed grape leaves on serving plate and garnish with lemon slices.
- Enjoy your Dolmadakia!