- 6 aubergines
- olive oil
- 750g minced beef, lamb or turkey
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 glass of red wine
- Salt & pepper
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 of a cup olive oil
Ingredients for the béchamel sauce:
- 875ml milk
- 100g butter
- 100g flour
- 2 eggs
- a pinch of nutmeg
- 100g Regato or Kefalotyri
- Remove the stalks from the aubergines and cut them into thick slices and season with salt.
- Rinse the aubergine slices with plenty of water and squeeze with your hands, to get rid of the excess water.
- Line a tray with grease proof paper add the aubergine slices and sprinkle them with some olive oil. Bake them for 20 minutes.
- In a large pan heat the olive oil to medium -high heat and stir in the chopped onions and sauté them.
- Stir in the garlic, tomato puree and the mince. Break the mince up with a wooden spoon, spread it out and sauté.
- Pour in the red wine and let it evaporate.
- Add tinned tomatoes, sugar, cinnamon, bay leaf and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, turn the heat down and simmer with the lid on for about 30 minutes, until most of the juices have evaporated.
- In a large pan melt some butter over low-medium heat.
- Add the flour whisking continuously to make a paste. Add milk in a steady stream while whisking in order to prevent your sauce from getting lumpy.
- If the sauce is not thick enough, keep boiling over low heat and continue to stir.
- When the sauce is thick enough remove the pan from the heat and stir in two egg yolks, salt, pepper, a pinch of nutmeg and the grated cheese. Whisk quickly quickly!!
- In a large baking dish, butter the bottom and sides of the pan and layer the aubergine slices. Pour in the meat sauce and even out. Add a second layer of the aubergine slices and top with the béchamel sauce.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and bake the moussaka in preheated oven at 180-200C for about 60 minutes, until crust turns golden brown.
- Enjoy your Moussaka!