Pork and Celery stew
Pork and Celery Stew
A lovely wintery stew, this dish is very popular during Christmas and New Year eve and it’s made with Selino, Selino is basically the Greek version of Celery. So don’t worry you can find Celery anywhere you are. Lastly we like to use braised pork ( pork leg) as it has less fat that other pieces.
The perfect warm dish for a cold winter day!
- 1kg pork, cut in portions
- 1 kg celery
- 1 big onion, chopped
- 1/2 bunch of dill
- lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsps olive oil
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- Salt& pepper
- Wash and chop the celery but not in a very small pieces.
- Boil the celery for about 4-5 minutes and drain it, we don’t want to boil it for too long.
- Rinse and cut the meat into medium partions all about the same size, let it dry.
- In a big pot pour the olive oil and when it’s hot enough add the meat.
- Saute the meat from both sides for about 5- 6 minutes and when you see it starts to get brown remove from the heat and set aside.
- Add the chopped onion and saute the onions until soft.
- Add the meat back to the pot and 1 cup of water.
- Boil for about 45 minutes in medium heat until the pork is done.
- Add the celery, salt pepper and boil for an extra 15 minutes.
- To prepare the egg- lemon sauce you will start by whisking the 2 eggs, lemon juice and corn flour in a bowl.
- While whisking the eggs and lemon, add very slowly a few spoonfuls from the liguid in the pot containg the pork and celery.
- Turn off the heat and pour the lemon and egg sauce over the pork and shake gently to make sure the sauce goes everywhere.
- Let it sit for another 5 minutes and then serve.
- Enjoy your Pork and Celery stew with rice or roasted potatoes.